Monday, August 9, 2010

Turkey "WHOMP" 50K

Long story short, about 4 miles into the 50K, I came out of the woods and into an open field, when to my surprise, I twisted my ankle in a rut, or hole. I had a feeling at the time it might be bad, because I kinda felt it snap. I stopped and walked/jogged for a bit, then I went back into the race hoping I could "run it out". About 13 miles into the race, the pain was just to much, so rather then try for another 18 miles, I bagged the race and headed back to the tent for ice and a cold beer....
The pain was bad all night, so the next morning we headed off to the doctor. The doctor , right off the bat said, no work for you the rest of the week, and he had some concern about redness spreading up my leg, which he was afraid might be an infection. So, he prescribed some drugs, and sent me off to get X-Rays. The X-Rays, thankfully came back negative (Whew), but unfortunately I cant drink any beer while on the medication (bleh). I have to go back to the doctors tomorrow, so for now its 20 minutes ON/OFF
with ice on the ankle, and 20 minutes ON/OFF with a heat compress on the leg. After the swelling goes down, if there is still bad pain, I might have to go for an MRI..... but thats a story for another day.
I'll keep everyone posted

Gene

6 comments:

John said...

After looking at that photo - words escape me. Feel better Geno.

Dave said...

Oh, just great Gene! Nice photo. Just as we're trying to recruit by personal invitation and handing out flyers you post this beast. You called just after I had planned out our first hash which includes even bigger roots, briars, hill climbs, and rock scrambles. You might do okay though, as there will be no grass blades to trip on. We may have to re-think your name...

Micah said...

Hey. Tough luck about the ankle. It was great meeting you guys after the race. I really enjoyed that beer after running 31 miles. It really hit the spot. Hope to see you all at future races.

BTW, I did that to mine about 4 or 5 weeks ago and it still swells up a bit, but I had no problems putting the mileage in.

Shamus J Babcock said...

I thought hobbits were supposed to be nimble?

JB said...

Ouch.

Makes my foot discomfort seem minor. Speedy recovery my friend..

Ron said...

OHH NO!!! Holy !@#$%$#@! I can't believe what I just read! Did you say you can't have any beer? That really looks ugly. Take care of that and you will be running again soon.